Your Name’s Changed — Now What?

Posted by Jonathan Jerkins | Jun 29, 2022 | 0 Comments

Whether you've changed your naming during your divorce proceeding or petitioned the court afterward, there are important documents that you should update. Let's take a look at some of them

State and Federal Documents

First of all, when you change your name, you'll want to change key government documents. Here are three of the most important ones to take care of right away.

Social Security Card

An updated Social Security Card is a prerequisite to updating other cards and documents. Therefore, you will want to start with your local Social Security Administration Office. You can only obtain an updated Social Security card with your new name in person; it cannot be done online. Most cities have their own office, and you'll need to make an appointment with them.

Driver's License

If you have a driver's license or a state identification card, you'll need to update it at the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles within 60 days of the name change taking place. They will use the Social Security Online Verification System to confirm your name change, which is why you need first to update your Social Security Card. Again, you will have to update your ID in person at one of the DMV office locations.


If you plan on traveling internationally any time soon, you'll want to update your passport so that the name on it matches your current identity. The great news is that you may be able to complete this via mail rather than in person. Check out the Department of State Guidelines to determine which forms are appropriate for your circumstances.

Other Places to Change Your Name

Changing your name at all of the necessary institutions can feel like a slog, so you might be tempted to stop once you've completed the above three steps. You should, however, remember to address your name change in other important instances. These can include:

  • financial institutions (banks, credit cards);
  • employers;
  • insurance information (homeowners, renters, car, health);
  • utility company

Contact a Skilled North Carolina Family Law Attorney

If you're currently thinking about changing your name or considering divorce, we'd love to help you navigate your case. Call us at 919-719-2785 or reach out online for assistance.

About the Author

Jonathan Jerkins

Jonathan "Jay" Jerkins, a native of Raleigh, North Carolina, intentionally focuses his practice on all aspects of North Carolina family law litigation and negotiations. Jay was admitted to the practice of law in North Carolina in 2014.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

contact Us

Here at Jerkins Family Law, we are focused and deliberate in fighting for a better solution for you. Do you need a skilled and passionate attorney to protect what matters to you the most? Then Jerkins Family law is ready to navigate you to a perfect solution to serve your legal needs.