How Does a North Carolina Court Force Someone to Pay Child Support?

Posted by Jonathan Jerkins | Jul 20, 2022 | 0 Comments

Some of the most hotly contested issues during a divorce or separation include financial obligations. A North Carolina court may order an individual to pay child support to the custodial parent, meaning the parent who has most or all the parenting time, otherwise known as physical custody. Child support aims to ensure that your child maintains the same standard of living as if their parents were living together. Child support payments also ensure that the non-custodial parent pays their share of the basic financial needs of a child because they aren't responsible for most daily expenses for food, clothing, and shelter. 

Child Support Orders

As part of your divorce, custody agreement, or paternity action, a court will determine the amount of required child support and a schedule of payments. Typically, the non-custodial spouse will make child support payments until the child is 18 or until they finish high school. 

After a child support order is in place, the North Carolina Child Support Services (CSS) collects and distributes child support payments. The non-custodial parent or their employer will typically pay North Carolina Child Support Centralized Collections (NCCSCC) directly, and NCCSCC distributes the money. 

Enforcing Child Support Orders

CSS can also help enforce child support obligations for custodial parents through collections actions income withholding. CSS can go after unemployment benefits, workers' compensation, veteran's disability, social security, or tax refunds of the parent who owes child support. CSS can also file court actions against a parent who owes child support, report child support obligations to the credit reporting bureaus, and make claims on real or personal property owned by the parent who owes child support.

You Need a Skilled North Carolina Family Lawyer

If you're facing issues with child support payments, you need skilled legal guidance. An experienced North Carolina family law attorney can walk you through the process, filing actions in court, locating the non-custodial parent's income or property, and helping you collect what you're owed. Call Jerkins Family Law at 919-719-2785 or contact us online. You need assistance from an experienced family lawyer in North Carolina, and we can help.

About the Author

Jonathan Jerkins

Jonathan "Jay" Jerkins, a native of Raleigh, North Carolina, intentionally focuses his practice on all aspects of North Carolina family law litigation and negotiations. Jay was admitted to the practice of law in North Carolina in 2014.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

contact Us

Here at Jerkins Family Law, we are focused and deliberate in fighting for a better solution for you. Do you need a skilled and passionate attorney to protect what matters to you the most? Then Jerkins Family law is ready to navigate you to a perfect solution to serve your legal needs.